Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics (8365)
New Specification: first assessment in 2020
- Specification and Specimen papers
- 5-9 grading
- Two, equally weighted, papers (1h 45 and 80 marks each).
- Formulae requirements aligned with GCSE
- Content changes are relatively small - Rationale for changes
- extensions to existing content which allow for more variation and depth to the questions in the exams.
- No content has been removed - Changes to Specification content
- some existing content was beyond the legacy GCSE but is now included in the new GCSE.
AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Maths is a unique qualification designed to stretch and challenge high achieving mathematicians who
- either already have, or are expected to achieve the top grades in GCSE Mathematics
- are likely to progress to A-Level study in Mathematics and possibly Further Mathematics
It complements GCSE Maths by encouraging students' higher Mathematical skills, particularly algebraic reasoning. It builds on the Key Stage 4 curriculum and is intended as an additional qualification to GCSE Mathematics, rather than as a replacement. It doesn't infringe upon AS Level Maths but does help students prepare for the extra rigour required in further studies at Level 3.
As well as the Specification and Specimen papers, we have produced a document which highlights the Changes to the Specification content and also a Rationale for these changes. We have also updated the Teaching Guidance, Worksheets and Route Map.